Friday, March 9, 2012

Favorite Song Fridays VII

Well, the song that I've been listening to over and over this week isn't one of my favorite songs (shh, don't tell), but it certainly has been stuck in my head, and I have certainly been listening to it almost nonstop. I can't tell you what it is, because it's a surprise. 

A few weeks ago I ran into some satellite friends (you know, those people who you've met a few times and are friendly with. You're excited to see them when you bump into each other but you'll never call them on a Sunday afternoon when you're bored and want to take a walk. That type of friends) in the (fantastic) bar that occupies the ground floor of my building. After chatting for a few minutes, one of them, who I actually hadn't remembered meeting, said he had a "proposal" for me. I assumed it was about private English classes. It turns out he's an amateur composer who writes soundtrack-like music in his free time. My sneaky friend Raquel, who insisted for a long time that I send her recordings of myself singing, sent them to this guy without my knowledge. Evidently he likes the way I sing, and wanted to know if I would work with him on a project or two. Obviously I said yes. Flattery will get you everywhere, my new composer friend. 

Last weekend I met with him to look over the piece and do some test recordings. I sounded awful, I will freely admit that: I'd been at a barbecue on a mountainside all day, yelling REF camp songs at the top of my lungs while scampering through the woods, breathing in wood smoke from the fire where our pork ribs crackled away, drinking beer cooled in an icy stream, and doing other not-voice-or-singing-friendly activities. I was not supporting properly, was coming down with a cold, was nervous, and didn't know the song. Soooo it was pretty shaky and awful. But he loved it (poor thing is either lying through his teeth or has never actually heard nice singing), and is very excited to keep working together. So he sent me the mp3 of the song and I've been trying to learn it by ear. I've also been transcribing it as an ear training exercise, and so I have a score to look at while I'm recording. So apologies for the lack of an actual song in this edition of FSF, but I promise that when the final product is finished I'll post it on here for you all to enjoy. Or laugh at.

No comments: