Friday, January 13, 2012

Favorite Song Fridays One

If you read this blog, you know me at least a little bit. And if you know me at least a little bit, you know how I feel about music. I can't put it into words. It is a part of me, a passion, a love, a comfort, an inspiration... It has been and always, always will be one of the most important things in my life. Living abroad has introduced me to a lot of new music, so I'll include some Spanish songs on here sometimes (although it's mostly pop that doesn't do much for me). While I've been Spain, music has provided company in my loneliest moments, inspiration in the dullest of times, and just plain happiness with the beauty and stimulation it always seems to bring me.

So, in order to get me writing with some regularity, and to share some of my favorite songs with you, I present "Favorite Song Fridays." I've seen series posts on other blogs and I think it's a cute (albeit somewhat kitschy) idea. So without further ado, the very first Favorite Song Friday:


Today's song: 
Otis Redding, "These Arms of Mine"
I once bought an Otis Redding song on iTunes because of one note. I should have known then and there that if one note could make me fall in love, I would adore the rest of this artist's work. But I didn't, until I rediscovered THAT VOICE singing "Merry Christmas Baby" on "Jingle Bell Rock," the 1987 Time-Life compilation (on vinyl) of '50s and '60s Christmas music (and in my opinion, the best Christmas album out there, and a Branch-Spencer tree-decorating staple). helloooo run-on sentence. 
But I digress. Upon purchasing "The Very Best of Otis Redding," I fell in love with this, one of his first singles, and have been listening to (and singing) it obsessively for days: 


I don't like trying to describe music in words. I love the feeling of this song. I love what he does with it, his voice, the little touches he adds, how he makes it his own. See? No matter how I try to describe it, only cliches come out. So just listen to the song. It will make you feel melancholy and warm and dreamy.


(wondering what the song with that ONE NOTE? Ok ok, I first heard it in an episode of Sex and the City [blegh], the song is "Try a Little Tenderness," and the one note is that high one in the third line of each verse. The best one is in the second verse. MELT.)

ps. I hope these songs are the right versions. I may or may not be at work (shhh) and can't listen to verify. 

pps. Why do all the good ones die young? (no Billy Joel reference intended...more of a Buddy Holly, Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix reference...ever heard of The 27 Club? cue Twilight Zone theme song.....)

No comments: