Monday, March 21, 2011

The World is Puddle-wonderful

Spring has been springing for a while now here, with beautiful sunny, warm days interspersed with the more typical rainy cold weather from time to time. But today, as it should be, it was mild, sunny, and utterly delightful. This is what real Spring -- ideal Spring -- looks like in Cantabria:



Don't you just want to traipse around in that little glen, stick your fingers in the stream, see what baby animals you can spot in the fields, smell the photosynthesis pushing out life all around you...

In honor of my e.e. cummings-focused poetry lesson last week, I leave you with one of my favorite Spring poems. I'll post my absolute favorite in the next few days -- it's long and difficult to read, but breathtakingly beautiful. For now, the oh-so-Springlike words of good ol' e.e.:


in Just-
spring         when the world is mud-
luscious the little
lame balloonman


whistles       far       and wee


and eddieandbill come
running from marbles and
piracies and it's 
spring


when the world is puddle-wonderful


the queer
old balloonman whistles
far         and          wee
and bettyandisbel come dancing


from hop-scotch and jump-rope and


it's 
spring
and


          the

                    goat-footed


balloonMan          whistles
far
and
wee

1 comment:

Elise said...

I just rediscovered your blog. So glad you're writing again!

I love to hear all about everything you do... yes even the things you consider silly and mundane now. I loved the post about your roof kitty. But that may be just because I love kitties.

I fully support the neck-note pen pal idea.

Let me know how it turns out!